Founded in 1959 by the La Salle Brothers, the school has become a landmark in the field of education, an institution known for its high standard of excellence in all areas of endeavor. La Salle Green Hills stands on a 6-hectare piece of prime property along Ortigas Avenue in Mandaluyong.

Jean Baptiste de La Salle

The history of La Salle Green Hills started more than three hundred years ago in France when a French priest, Jean Baptiste de La Salle, gave up his high social and ecclesiastical position and family wealth to dedicate himself to the neglected youth of his day by establishing an institute of religious teachers.

  • 1661, St. John Baptist de La Salle was born in Rheims, France.
  • May 1684, St La Salle founded the Fratres Scholarum Christianarum (FSC) or Institute of the Brothers of Christian Schools whose purpose was to give Christian education to children especially the children of the artisans and the poor.
  • 1719, death of John Baptist de La Salle
  • 1900, canonization of St La Salle
  • 1950, St La Salle was proclaimed Patron of all Teachers. Today, there are around 6,000 Christian Brothers in more than 80 countries teaching and managing schools. In the Philippines, they are known as De La Salle Brothers.

Brief History of La Salle Green Hills

In the early 1950s, the Brothers of De La Salle College-Manila, led by Br. H. Gabriel Connon FSC, acquired a six-hectare lot on Ortigas Avenue in Mandaluyong City to relocate the De La Salle Novitiate from Baguio and to accommodate increasing requests for admission to the then De La Salle Grade School on Taft Avenue, Manila.

In July 1959, La Salle Green Hills opened its door to preparatory and grades 1 and 2 levels. Its first Brother-Director was Br. Alphonsus Bloemen FSC who first came to teach in De La Salle College in Manila in 1940.

On August 24, 1960, La Salle Green Hills, Inc. was registered as non-stock, non-profit corporation with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In August 1964, the high school was established.

In 1968, when the De La Salle High School – Manila was made defunct, graduates of the De La Salle Grade School were transferred to the La Salle Green Hills High School, making La Salle Green Hills the high school of De La Salle University – Manila, until the establishment of the co-educational De La Salle-Santiago Zobel in 1978. Following the phase-out of De La Salle Grade School – Manila in 1984, its grade school graduates were given an option to study either at LSGH (for northern and central Metro Manila residents) or at De La Salle Zobel in Ayala Alabang Village (for southern Metro Manila residents).

La Salle Green Hills’ accreditation history speaks for itself – a mark of commitment to quality education. The Grade School Department’s Level III, 5-year certification (full curricular deregulation) in 2008, 2010, and 2015, not to mention its rare 7-year certification in 1993, from PAASCU and FAAP, attest to this.

This same brand of commitment manifests in the High School, cited as the 1st high school in the country to have been granted Level III PAASCU certification in 2003 and recipient of continuous accreditation status thereafter.

On June 8, 2009, La Salle Green Hills celebrated its golden jubilee, and in 2011 celebrated together with the rest of the De La Salle schools in the Philippines the centennial celebration of the De La Salle Brothers in the Philippines.

Vision – Mission

La Salle Green Hills is a Lasallian Catholic educational institution that is internationally recognized, learner-centered, and service-oriented in pursuit of social transformation.

In pursuing the mission, La Salle Green Hills professes to:

  • Promote the development of spiritual and moral values;
  • Respect the individuality of each person and the totality of his human potential;
  • Pursue a relevant and excellent academic program;
  • Develop social responsibility for national development; and
  • Promote the enrichment of Filipino culture and the growth of an interdependent global community.