Project Duo Series #6
This Duo Series #6 features a group of highly talented alumni who have excelled in their fields of endeavor: directors, doctors, sports managers, and dental board topnotchers.
MICHAEL FRANCIS “Mike” E. SANDEJAS
LSGH HS ‘90
Mike is the President of the Directors’ Guild of the Philippines Inc. since 2015. He graduated BA Organizational Communication in the University of the Philippines, Manila. Mike was an accidental filmmaker after he found himself working as a production staffer on the sets of known directors like Gil Portes, Mike De Leon and Lav Diaz. Eventually he started a digital video equipment rental business which soon led to his first ever feature film TULAD NG DATI which immediately gained him attention after it won Best Film in the prestigious Cinemalaya Film Festival. Mike then became a video producer and director for several Corporate, Government and Military Clients Outside of his endeavors; he finds time to accept invitations to lecture about film and its local industry around the country. He attributes his story telling skills to the English Literature classes of LSGH.
His past and present affiliations include:
- Fellow, Young Leaders Initiative, Asia Society Philippines
- Honoree, First Philippine Daily Inquirer Indie Tribute, Top 25 filmmakers (2010)
- Film lecturer, College of St Benilde (2010-2011)
- MassComm lecturer, St Scholastica’s College, Manila (2010- present)
- Managing partner, Echo and Mirage Multimedia (2006-2011)
- In-house Commercial director, Abracadabra, Inc (2011-2013)
- Creative director, thesocialstandard.com (2015)
- Creative director, Versient Media (2016-present)
- Director, Philippines Next Top Model (2017, TV5)
Director/Writer/Producer – TULAD NG DATI, Cinemalaya Best Film 2006
Pusan Intl Filmfest New Currents Competition Entry
Hawaii International Filmfest selection
Director/Writer/Producer – DINIG SANA KITA Cinemaya Audience Award 2009
Toronto International Filmfest selection
Brussels Intl Independent Filmfest selection
Hawaii International Filmfest selection
San Diego Asia Filmfest selection
Director/Producer – WAT FLOOR MA’AM Cinemalaya short film entry 2009
JOSE LORENZO “PEPE” A. DIOKNO
LSGH HS ’05
Pepe Diokno is an internationally-acclaimed film director, producer, and writer.
At the age of 22, his debut film, Engkwentro, won the Lion of the Future – “Luigi de Laurentiis” Award and the Orizzonti Prize at the 2009 Venice Film Festival. Produced on a meager budget, Engkwentro tells the story of two teenage brothers on the run from a vigilante death squad. It also received the NETPAC Award for Best Asian Film at the 2010 Jeonju International Film Festival, a special citation from the 2009 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, and an Ani ng Dangal Award from the President of the Philippines.
Pepe’s second film, Above the Clouds, premiered at the 2014 Tokyo Film Festival and was nominated Best Film at the 2014 Singapore Film Festival. It tells the story of an orphaned teenage boy and his estranged grandfather embarking on a journey to overcome their grief. The production won grants from France’s Aide aux cinemas du monde, South Korea’s Asian Cinema Fund, Switzerland’s Visions Sud Est and the 2012 Berlin Film Festival’s Arte Prize.
In 2015, Pepe returned to his roots with his third feature, Kapatiran, a cinematic essay on fraternities and Philippine society’s tribal nature. It premiered as an Official Selection at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, received rave reviews the QCinema International Film Festival, and is currently making its rounds internationally.
Pepe has made short films with brands such as Jollibee, Tang, Lady’s Choice, Globe, Safeguard, BPI, Knorr, Anchor, Sky Flakes, Firefly LED, and Anchor. They tell universal stories with Filipino values, and have been seen tens of millions worldwide.
Pepe is chairman of Epicmedia, the independent production company behind Lav Diaz’s Berlin Silver Bear winner, Hele Sa Hiwaga Ng Hapis, and the box office hits That Thing Called Tadhana and Patay na si Hesus.
EMMANUEL “Nongnong” M. CALANOG
LSGH HS ’86 and GS ‘82
Emmanuel “Nongnong” Calanog is currently the Executive Director of De La Salle University’s Office of Sports Development. In his capacity as Athletic Director of DLSU during the past 5 years, he was able to lead the University to 3 UAAP General Championships, its first trophies since joining the league in 1986. He was also Athletic Director of La Salle Green Hills in 2001 – 2006 where he was also able to lead LSGH to back to back NCAA Juniors General Championships in 2003 – 2005, also it’s first since re-joining the league.
A passionate sportsman, Nongnong was awarded best player in Baseball during his elementary graduation at LSGH in 1982. During his High School graduation from LSGH in 1986, he was awarded the Blessed Br. Solomon award for his extra-curricular involvements, including being elected to the SACB, a production assistant with the Kundirana, and a member of the LSGH Volleyball Team. He finished his degree at the University of the Philippines majoring in Broadcast Communication, which eventually led him to join Vintage Enterprises, covering various sports leagues, including the PBA, PBL and other sporting events, working his way from production assistant to associate producer, eventually working the coverages as Television Director. He finished his Master in Business Management Degree from the Asian Institute of Management in 1996, after which he joined Far East Bank and Trust Co./Bank of the Philippines Islands before eventually working for La Salle Green Hills in 2001 then De La Salle University in 2012.
He was recently inducted into the Federation of La Salle Alumni Associations of the Philippines – De La Salle Alumni Association (FLSAAP – DLSAA) Sports Hall of Fame for his contribution to La Salle Sports in the field of Sports Management.
EDWIN THEODORO C. REYES
Edwin Theodoro C. Reyes’ numerous and diverse involvements could be attributed to his vibrant character. The energy and passion he puts in anything and everything he does is remarkable. His social and human relations skills contribute heavily to the success of any project or business venture he gets into. But most importantly, it is his leadership skills coupled with compassion that comprise the formula of his being an achiever. As early as high school at La Salle Green Hills, he was one of those most likely to succeed being a student leader. He started blooming in college with his active involvement in student activities and as Councilor of the University Student Council of the University of the Philippines – Diliman. Edwin exudes another meaning of success. Provide livelihood and employment to the jobless and necessities to the consumer were two of Edwin’s motivation in striving for success.
Fresh out of college, Edwin’s first job as an employee was in Mileage Marketing and Advertising Inc. as an Account Executive. After which, Edwin pursued what he thought was his advocacy and calling; to help improve the quality of living of most Filipinos as Proprietor, Managing Director or Partner of various businesses. Some of the businesses he’s set-up starting as young as his 20’s were: Balat Leather Collection in 1992, Auraflo Orchid Farms, Negros in 1995, Kalan-An sa Makati in 1995, Sound Stream Entertainment Inc. as Consultant and Board Member, iO KTV as General Manager in 1997, The Comfort Room (Comedy Lounge) as Managing Director in 2004, Jericho Systems, Inc., as a Board Member and Managing Director in 2003 – publisher of Citiguide Metro Manila. He was also employed at TMS Ship Agencies Inc. from 2013 until 2015 as its Vice-President for Corporate Planning and Quality Management in 2013. He is presently the President of Red Door Animation Inc.
In 2006, Edwin realized his deeper calling; to give back to his alma mater La Salle. Upon the invitation of Br. Armin Luistro FSC, Edwin’s first served as Executive Director of the One La Salle Scholarship Fund in 2006, a campaign to raise Php1B by the Centenary of Lasallian Presence in the Philippines in 2011 wherein its aim is to have 20% of the students of all La Salle schools as scholars. One of the most memorable and challenging positions Edwin has occupied was as Executive Director of the DLSU Office of Sports Development from 2008 to 2011. His responsibility was to equally oversee and manage the development and performance of every athletic sports team of DLSU. The DLSU teams were able to bring honors to the school during his term. As DLSU’s Office of Sports Development Director, he was the operational point person during the university’s hosting of University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 73 in 2010. He became a UAAP Board of Trustee representing DLSU from 2011 until 2017. The other DLSU positons he has held in the past are: Assistant to the President for Institutional Development and Special Projects in 2012, Officer-In-Charge of Development and Sponsored Research in 2012.
Edwin continues to live the Animo by serving and giving back to his alma mater. He is presently the Executive Director of the DLSU Advancement and Alumni Affairs Office, Trustee of the De La Salle Alumni Association Board, Board of Managing Director representing DLSU at the UAAP Board. After all that has been said and done, it is where you are happy and your heart is that you will end up in. Edwin has significantly contributed in popularizing sports management and bringing it to a higher level.
MICHAEL “Mike” A. SARTE
LSGH HS ‘85 and GS ‘81
Dr. Michael Alexius “Mike” Sarte is an Otolaryngologist Head & Neck Surgeon and a Sleep Medicine Specialist. He graduated from University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, and finished his residency at the UST Hospital Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. Focusing on sleep disorders for more than one and a half decades, helping individuals address their sleep concerns has turned more into an advocacy knowing that we spend more than 1/3 of our lives asleep. This does not however hinder Dr. Mike’s passion for helping others as he continues to serve in his capacity as a specialist in the public health sector.
The following are Dr. Mike’s past and present positions:
- Chairman – Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Rizal Medical Center, Department of Health
- Consultant Director – Center for Snoring and Sleep Disorders , The Medical City
- Associate Board Examiner – Philippine Board of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery
- Lecturer- Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine and Surgery, Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health (ASMPH)
- Past President and Founding Member – Philippine Society of Sleep Medicine (PSSM)
- Past Chairman – Fellowship Training Accreditation Committee, Philippine Society of Sleep Medicine (PSSM)
- Past Chairman – Philippine Academy of Sleep Surgeons (PASS) under the Philippine Society of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery (PSOHNS)
- Past Residency Training Officer – Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Rizal Medical Center, Department of Health
- Past Chairman – , Membership Committee, International Sleep Science and Technology Association (ISSTA-BERLIN)
His past and present affiliations are:
- Medical Specialist, Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery – Pasig City General Hospital
- Subspecialty Head, Sleep Medicine – Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, University of Santo Tomas Hospital (UST Hospital)
- Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine Specialist – Institute of Neurosciences Comprehensive Sleep Disorders Center, St. Luke’s Medical Center, QC
- Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine Specialist – Don Andres Soriano Medical Clinic – Head Office Complex (DASMC-HOC), San Miguel Corporation
- Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine Specialist (Visiting) – Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, St. Luke’s Medical Center, BGC
Dr. Mike’s fellowships are listed below:
- Head and Neck Microvascular & Reconstructive Surgery
- Honorary Clinical Associate, at Queen Mary Hospital at the University of Hong Kong Medical Center
- Rhinology and Sleep Medicine
- Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery at the University of Ulm Medical Center, Ulm, Germany
- Sleep Laboratory
Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery at the University of Heidelberg Medical Center, Mannheim, Germany
JOSEPH RYLAN FLORES, MD
LSGH HS ‘86
Dr. Rylan is an Orthopaedic Surgeon and a Nutrigenomics Practitioner. He graduated Doctor of Medicine from the Fatima College of Medicine. He had his training in General Surgery at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital and finished his residency in Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine at De los Santos Medical Center.
He is the Founding Chairman of the Philippine Society for Bones and Joints Care. Dr. Rylan is also a professor at the He Nan Kong Chang Bones and Joints Care Research Center in Zhangzhou, China. He is a consultant at De los Santos Medical Center and Lang Fang Orthopaedic Center in Lang Fang, China. He is the Executive Director at the International Council for the Standardization of management for Bones and Joints Care in Beijing, China.
He is a member in the following organizations:
- Philippine Society of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- Philippine Spine society
- Philippine Society for Geriatric Medicine
- Osteoporosis Society of the Philippines
- Philippine Medical Association
- Quezon City Medical Society – Vice President, District IV
- International Council for bones and joints Care – Beijing, China
His fellowships include:
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons
- Former Governor, ICS – Philippine Section
- Treasurer, ICS Metro Manila Chapter
- Fellow and Diplomate in Orthopaedics, Philippine Academy of Medical Specialists
- National Chancellor for Orthopaedic Surgery of the Philippine Academy of Medical Specialists
- Fellow and Diplomate, Philippine Academy for Anti-Aging Medicine, Inc.
Dr. Rylan’s other past and current positions:
- Tournament Doctor, International Premiere Tennis League (2014 &2015)
- Team Doctor for National University, University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP)
- Team Doctor for De La Salle University’s Women’s Volleyball Team, UAAP (2016)
- Past President, La Salle Green Hills Alumni Association (LSGHAA)
- Current External Vice President, LSGHAA
- President, Thomasian Alumni Leadears’ Association
Aside from being a doctor, he is also a movie, TV, radio personality and a columnist.
JOSE LUIS ANGEL “LOLOY” B. OROSA, D.M.D., M.Sc.
LSGH GS ’83 and HS ‘87
Jose Luis Angel Buenazedacruz Orosa or “Loloy” to family and close friends was born in Manila on June 06, 1970 to Drs. Luis and Lydia Orosa. Loloy finished his grade school in 1983 and high school in 1987 at La Salle Green Hills. Thereafter, he attended De La Salle University College of Science for a year and the University of the East College of Arts and Science for another year for his Associate in Arts (Pre-Dentistry program). He earned his degree in Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) at the University of the East College of Dentistry in 1994. Dr. Orosa passed the Philippine Dental Board examination the same year. He ranked first in that licensure examination which was considered the most difficult in its history with an 88% mortality rate and only 12% of the examinees passing, after which, he took and passed the 1st and 2nd parts of the U.S. National Dental Board examination, winter of 1994 and spring of 1995 respectively.
In 1995, He enrolled at the New York University College of Dentistry (NYUCD), and earned his Certificate in the International Post Graduate Program in Prosthodontics. He also taught in the undergraduate/ D.D.S. program as a clinical instructor at the NYUCD. He was invited to teach in the program where he graduated from, however, he chose to come back home to join his family’s dental practice as an associate dentist in 1997. Five years later, he went back to NYUCD for his Master in Science (MSc) degree in Biomaterials (formerly Dental Material Science), which he completed summer 2003. His one year completion of the MSc program still holds a record of sorts in the NYUCD’s Department of Biomaterials and Biomimetics since it would usually take at least two years to accomplish. His thesis involved cast gold post and core designs, accelerated life testing, and the Weibull statistical analysis.
Currently, Dr. Orosa is back in the Philippines, and is involved with the family dental practice and as a dental consultant at The New Medical City in Pasig City. He practices general dentistry, although most of his cases are on prosthodontics.
Loloy is a member of the following professional organizations:
- The Philippine Dental Association (PDA) – (since 1994);
- The International College of Prosthodontists (ICP) – (constituent member since 1997);
- The International Association of Dental Research (IADR) – (since 1999);
- The Philippine Prosthodontic Society (PPS) – Treasurer ‘02; Board of Director ‘04 (2000-2004);
- The International College of Oral Implantologists (ICOI) – (since 2009);
- International College of Dentists (ICD) – (2017)
Dr. Orosa has presented lectures and given table clinic presentations on prosthodontics and oral implantology in both major conventions and local scientific seminars.
His social and civic affiliations are as follows:
- La Salle Green Hills Search In – (since 1985)
- La Salle Green Hills Alumni Association – (since 1987)
- De La Salle University Days with the Lord – (since 1988)
- University of the East Alumni Association – (since 1994)
- Rotary Club of Pasig – (since 2009)
Dr. Orosa was also commissioned in to the Armed Forces of the Philippines as a reservist, with rank of 1st Lieutenant in 2000.
Loloy is happily married to Ricci de Guzman Chua. They got married at St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City, Italy in 2005, and are blessed with two wonderful children. Julia, his daughter is 11 years old and is in 6th grade at the St. Pedro Poveda College, while his son, Luis II or Dos, is turning 10 years old this year and is a Grade 5 student at La Salle Green Hills.
JOSE LUIS ANGEL “LOUIE” B. OROSA II, D.M.D
LSGH HS ’89 and GS ‘85
Louie came from a family of dentists whose practice was established in1965. He graduated at the University of the East College of Dentistry in 1995 and took the dental board exam the same year, where he ranked number 1.
He took his post graduate specialization at New York University College of Dentistry from 1996-1998. In between his residency, he was a faculty at the Department of Prosthodontics for the undergraduate dental program.
Louie was invited to set up his practice in The Medical City in 1999. He is currently the chairman of The Medical City’s Dental Department. He does his full time practice at 801 Medical Arts Tower, The Medical City and G/F L. Orosa Bldg. 1010 Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
Louie served as a director of La Salle Green Hills Alumni Association from 2009-2014.
- Philippine Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Academy of Osseointegration
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- International College of Oral Implantologists
- The Medical City
- JCI-Manila Senate