PROJECT DUO LAUNCHED
For the past 56 years, grade school and high school graduates have emerged from LSGH after receiving their Lasallian basic education. Eventually, the majority have moved on to college and even graduate school for their college, masters, and doctoral degrees. Today, there are thousands of LSGH alumni found in practically every known profession: from self-employed businessmen to corporate executives; from entertainers to scientists; from men in robes to men in uniforms – the La Salle Green Hills alumni permeate the world today.
PROJECT DUO is an attempt to trace the alumni of LSGH and share with the public, and with fellow alumni, where God has led them through a project that features alumni tandems who share similar career or professional backgrounds. Their photos are taken (or submitted) and laid out side-by-side in a larger-than-life poster which is framed in back-lit panels and mounted along the perimeter walls of the school facing Ortigas Avenue. These posters are also captured digitally and found in social media, in the school’s institutional website, and in Green Dome, the school’s digital newsletter.
PROJECT DUO is an ongoing get-to-know-each-other campaign open to all LSGH alumni, whoever they are, whatever they are doing, and wherever they may be. For those interested in joining this project, check out the guidelines provided below, send us your CV, and submit a name or list of names of other alumni who have a similar career background as yours. Once we confirm a match, we will inform you of a photo session schedule.
Here are the guidelines for selecting participants to Project Duo:
CRITERIA IN THE SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS FOR PROJECT DUO
- Must be an alumnus of La Salle Green Hills. An alumnus is defined as someone who was enrolled at LSGH for at least two (2) years.
- Must identify a fellow LSGH alumnus who shares the same or a similar professional background and provide us with that alumnus’ contact details.
- Must have achieved a certain degree of distinction and positive recognition for his vision, leadership, management, skill, and integrity in his chosen field, profession, or life of service. He need not be reputed nationally or internationally. What is most important is that he can rightfully serve as a professional and personal role model for young LSGH students.*
- Must be willing to participate on a pro-bono arrangement.
- Must be willing to have his photo images used by the school in its promotional campaigns in all media.
- The final selection of participants must be approved by the school president.
- Must be clear from any previous or pending lawsuits, legal charges or public scandals that may harm the reputation and integrity of LSGH.
* Since the country’s political environment has been so unpredictable for the past few decades, alumni who have run for public office will not be included in Project Duo.
We invite all alumni who are interested and who fit the criteria to become part of Project Duo to submit the following:
- Full name and nickname
- Batch year
- Professional background (please provide a short write-up or summary of your CV or profile)
- E-mail address, mailing address, and mobile number
Once we receive your information and confirmed your partnership with another alumnus, we will then send you an invitation by e-mail informing you to attend a photo shoot at LSGH. A caption/title will be provided as soon as the tandems are formed.
To launch this project, the following will be featured this December 2016:
- CHAMPIONS: Stephen Fernandez and Paeng Nepomuceno
- HEADLINERS: Rico Hizon and Mike Enriquez
- BUILDERS: Duke Sage and Marin Martinez
- DEFENDERS: Maj Gen (ret.) Jolly Mabanta and LTC Demy Zagala
Rafael “Paeng” Nepomuceno is six time World Bowling Champion and is acknowledged worldwide as the greatest international bowler of all time. He currently holds the World Record for the most career titles won in 6 different continents, currently 128.
He is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records and has three unbroken records up to this date.
Paeng has been bowling since he was 12, winning his first major tournament at 15, and his first Bowling World Cup at 19, achieving a rare Grand Slam by winning the Philippine Open, Asian Championships and the Bowling World Cup in a span of 5 months in 1976.
He is the first and the only one is Asia to earn a USBC (United States Bowling Congress) Gold Coach certification. USBC GOLD LEVEL COACHING is the highest certification for coaches, much like receiving a doctorate in a field of study and he is one of only 25 active coaches to currently hold the designation.
Paeng still actively competes, enjoying being able to compete against bowling athletes many who are half his age, and has the honor of still being able to represent his country at international competitions.
He truly is an ambassador for his sport and promotes bowling wherever he goes – giving clinics, exhibitions and personal appearances.
In recognition of his achievements, in November, 1999, at the opening ceremonies of the 1999 World Championships, Juan Antonio Samaranch who was then the president of the International Olympic Committee personally awarded Paeng with the prestigious IOC Presidents’ Trophy which is the first for the sport of bowling and is the highest sports award. He is the only bowling athlete in the world who has been bestowed this award.
He is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having three unbroken records:
- For being the youngest World Bowling Champion at 19 years old
- For winning the most World Titles in three different decades
- For winning the most Worldwide titles in a career: Now numbering 130
The World FIQ, the world governing body of the sport, named Paeng as the “International Bowling Athlete of the Millennium” in behalf of 100 million bowlers during the opening ceremonies of the World Championships in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates in 1999. During the ceremony, an FIQ official cited Paeng with these words: “No international bowling athlete is more deserving of recognition than Paeng. In addition to his long list of well-known achievements as a world champion in three decades, Paeng truly has been and continues to be an extraordinary ambassador to the sport”.
Paeng’s Lasallian awards include:
La Salle Green Hills Silver Jubilee Athletic Distinction Awardee, March 1985
La Salle Green Hills Hall of Fame, First Ever Inductee, March 1985
La Salle Green Hills Alumni Association Ting Brothers Memorial Award: 1985 Outstanding Alumnus- Athlete of the Year
De La Salle University Sports Hall of Fame – 2003
De La Salle University Distinguished Lasallian Award (Highest award of De La Salle University) – 2009
LSGH Batch HS ’85 and GS ’81
- Gold, South East Asian Games, Indonesia 1987
- Bronze South East Asian Games, Malaysia 1989
- Bronze South East Asian Games, Manila 1991
- Bronze, Asian Taekwondo Championships, Nepal 1988
- Olympian, Seoul 1988 (Flyweight Division)
- Bronze, Barcelona Olympics 1992 (Bantamweight Division)
- Recipient, Philippine Olympic Committee Medal of Honor
- Inducted DLSU Sports Hall of Fame 2013
- World Taekwondo Federation: Certified International Referee
- Kukkiwon Taekwondo Head Quarters: 7th Dan Black Belt
- Philippine Olympians Association: Board of Director
- Director, Center for Sports Development (DLS-College of St. Benilde): 2013 – Present
- Chairman, Philippine Taekwondo Association Regional & Central Committee: 2013 – Present
- Deputy -Secretary General (Philippine Taekwondo Association): 2010 – 2012
- Co – Owner: Olympians Taekwondo Training Center: (2000 – 2012)
- Coach/Head Coach (Taekwondo, Philippine National Team): 1993 – 2009
- Faculty, Physical Education Department (DLSU): 1993 – 2013
- Program Manager (Taekwondo): LSGH 2009 – 2013
- Head Coach: San Miguel Corporation (HOC): 1994 – 2004
- Head Coach: Don Bosco Mandaluyong: 1992 – 1995
- Head Coach: DLS-College of St Benilde: 1993 – 2013
- Head Coach: DLSU 1989 – 2013
Batch HS ’84 and GS ’80
Rico Hizon is the award-winning news anchor of BBC World News´ daily business and finance program Asia Business Report and general news based show Newsday live from Singapore and London, every weekday morning.
Produced out of Singapore, Asia Business Report offers viewers up to the minute economic and market news from the Asia-Pacific region, with in-depth analysis of the latest trends from the movers and shakers in the business world.
His reports have taken him all over the region from Hong Kong, to Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia and the Philippines.
On Newsday, Rico reports on the latest political and social issues from the people who make the news, and also a thorough viewpoint from more than 200 BBC correspondents around the world, and its impact on the global scene.
In his more than 25 years as a broadcast journalist he is the only South East Asian male anchor to work for two of the world’s most prestigious global news networks CNBC Business News and BBC World News.
He has interviewed personalities in the financial, political and sporting world from Microsoft´s Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, World Trade Organization Chief Pascal Lamy, Air Asia’s Tony Fernandes, Virgin´s Sir Richard Branson, billionaire Warren Buffet, Hedge Fund managers George Soros, and Mark Mobius, Loida Nicholas Lewis, Former US President Bill Clinton, Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammad, New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, European Union President Jose Manuel Barroso, ASEAN Secretary General Surin Pitsuwan, Nobel Prize Laureate Mohammad Yunus, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yughoyohono, U-S President Bill Clinton to Philippine President´s Fidel Ramos, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and Benigno Aquino III.
In Sports, he has interviewed Olympic Gold Medalist Sebastian Coe, Football World Champion PELE, World Boxing Champion Manny Pacquiao, NBA Superstars Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, David Robinson, top women golfers Michelle Wie and Lorena Ochoa, Manchester United’s Sir Alex Ferguson, David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand.
In Entertainment, Hollywood stars Jamie Foxx, Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield, Michelle Yeoh, K-Pop phenomenon PSY, Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler, Emma Stone, Musical stars Lea Salonga and Charice, pop music composer David Foster, celebrated photographers Steve Mccury and Annie Leibovitz, internet sensations Alden Richards and Maine Mendoza also known as Aldub. Best-selling author Amy Chua.
With keen interest in Asia’s booming economies and geo-political issues, Rico Hizon´s news programs on BBC World News are broadcast to more 400 million households worldwide.
His anchoring and reportorial responsibilities has also given him the honor to moderate and host several top global events — The UN Conference on Economic and Social Change in New York; The Clinton Global Initiative in Hong Kong and New York; The World Bank and IMF Annual Meetings; The Asian Development Bank Annual Meetings; The World Economic Forum; British Chamber of Commerce Awards in Singapore; The ASEAN Business and Investment Summit in Cambodia and Myanmar.
Rico is a multi-awarded broadcast journalist. He was recently given the Highly Commended Award in the Best News Anchor category at the 2014 Asian Television Awards. He garnered in 2012, the prestigious Rotary Club of Manila, Broadcast Journalist of the Year Award and was accorded a Doctorate Honoris Causa in Humanities by the University of Northeastern Philippines. In 2011, he was chosen one of Asia’s top news anchor’s at the Asian Television Awards. In 2010, People of the Year Awardee from People Asia Magazine. In 2009, a La Sallian Achievement Awardee for Global Journalism. In 2008, Presidential Awardee for excellence in International Journalism. In 2008, Bank of the Philippine Islands recognized Rico for bringing honor and recognition to the Philippines with the BPinoy Award, and for advocating important Filipino values and principles. In 2006, he was awarded the prestigious The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) Award for International Journalism and Community Service.
Rico, who studied at De La Salle University, started his broadcast career at Manila-based GMA Network, from 1988 to 1995, where he was responsible for covering capital markets, banking and finance, real estate, investment and corporate developments. He anchored the daily business program, Business Today, GMA News Live and Stock Market Live from the trading floor of the Philippine Stock Exchange.
Rico then joined CNBC Asia in April 1995, based in Hong Kong and later in Singapore, where he was the main anchor of the morning edition of CNBC Today, Squawk Box, Market Watch and Power Lunch.
Batch HS ‘68
Mike is the former Senior Vice-President and currently Consultant For Radio of GMA Network Incorporated – one of the largest broadcast networks in the Philippines. He is also the president of RGMA Network, Inc. – a GMA affiliate that manages the network’s provincial radio operations. Before joining GMA, he was a vice-president and a member of the board of directors of Radio Mindanao Network – one of the biggest privately-owned radio networks in the Philippines.
Mike also became the general manager of FBS Radio Network which at one time saw its Metro Manila AM and FM stations both simultaneously dominating their respective markets. He also taught Broadcast Management at De La Salle University – one of the country’s most prestigious institutions of learning.
Mike started his broadcasting career in 1969 as a staff announcer of the Manila Broadcasting Company. Since then, he has done work in various fields of broadcasting – from journalism to programming and senior management. He is also known in the broadcast industry for his past active involvement in the Kapisanan ng Mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (Association of Broadcasters in the Philippines). He was the founding chairman of its Metro Manila chapter. He has as its vice-president for radio, vice-president for television and as executive vice-president. In 1991 he was the chairman of the board and in 1992, he was the president. That was a challenging year for Philippine broadcasting. It was the first time free national elections were being held since 1969.
Aside from being a broadcast executive, Mike is also one of the anchors of GMA Network’s leading prime time television newscast – “24 Oras”. He also hosts a very popular and multi-awarded radio program from 6:00 to 10:00 AM from Mondays through Fridays on GMA’s flagship station DZBB. The program features a one-hour newscast that is broadcast nationwide. He anchors another television program on GMA – “Imbestigador” – which features bold investigative reports every Saturday at 4:00 PM. Both 24 Oras and Imbestigador are among the Network’s highest-rating programs.
In January 2003, the GMA late-night newscast “Saksi” won the gold medal in the New York Festivals. Mike was among those who pioneered the program which he also anchored until his new assignment in “24 Oras”.
Just before the war in Iraq broke out, Mike led a six-man GMA news team into Baghdad from where they filed live reports. They were the first Filipino journalists to cover the war right inside Iraq. While the fighting was going on, Mike was also sent to Kuwait from where he did live reports. He and his co-members of GMA’s “Team Baghdad” produced a documentary called “Iraq – In the Navel of War” which won the Silver Camera Award in the 2004 US Film and Video Festival in Hollywood.
Mike spearheaded GMA’s radio expansion program. When he joined the network in late 1995 it had only four stations. Today GMA has 27 stations in all major cities throughout the Philippines.
He is a recipient of the 1999 Golden Dove Award for Best Male Newscaster and of the Ka Doroy Valencia Broadcaster of the Year Award given by the Kapisanan ng Mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP). He also received the Star Award for Best Male Newscaster of 1999 from the Philippine Movie Press Club of the Philippines. His 1999 grand slam was completed when he won the award for Best Newscaster in the Asian Television Awards held in Singapore. He is the only Filipino to win that award so far.
He is one of the 2016 Excel CEO awardees of the International Association of Business Communicators (Philippines).
Mike is a product of De La Salle College now known as De La Salle University. He was formerly the chairman of the Board of Trustees of La Salle Green Hills and is currently a member of the Boards of Trustees of De La Salle College of Saint Benilde, De La Salle University – Dasmariñas, the De La Salle Health Sciences Institute and De La Salle University Araneta.
Batch HS ’90 and GS ‘86
Duke is the Founder and Managing Director of The Sage Group Asia, a full time architectural, engineering design and development company that is focused on educational, institutional, hospitality and residential design. On-going and recently completed projects include the De La Salle Santiago Zobel –Vermosa Campus, the DLSU-STC University Academic Buildings, the DLSUMC Medical Arts Building, the De La Salle Lipa CBEAM Building and the LSCA Senior High School Building.
Duke also founded Sage Architects Founder and was President from 2000 – 2015. Sage Architects was established as a single proprietorship company focused in providing quality architectural and engineering design. The company eventually evolved into The Sage Group Asia as development partners and consultants joined the group.
- Calle Real Hotel Group Chairman – The Calle Real Hotel Group is responsible for developing three (3) hotels, namely the Coron Ecolodge, Casa Coron and Treetop Coron, Palawan Suites all located along Calle Real in Coron, Palawan.
- Francisco Mañosa & Partners Project Architect – Handled projects for the renowned firm, Francisco Manosa and Partners. The projects included various educational, sports and residential facilities.
- University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City B.S. ARCHITECTURE, Cum Laude (1990 – 1995)
- La Salle Green Hills Grade School and High School (1978 – 1990)
United Architects of the Philippines (UAP) (2010 – present)
Batch HS ‘71
Marin is currently the Chairman of 8990 Holdings, Inc. and 8990 Housing Development Corporation which he both held since 2012. He also continues to hold the position of President of Foghorn, Inc., Happy Well Management and Collection Service, Inc. and BP Waterworks Inc. He served as President and CEO of 8990 Luzon Housing Development Corp. in 2008 – 2009; and President and CEO of Ceres Homes, Inc. from 2002 up to the present.
8990 Holdings Inc. is a low-cost mass housing developer. As of December 31, 2013, the Company completed 16 mass housing projects comprising approximately 14,000 housing units under the DECA Homes and Urban DECA Homes brands. 8990 Holdings Inc. is a publicly listed company with the Philippine Stock Exchange and is traded under the name, “HOUSE”.
INDUSTRY AFFILIATIONS (Past and Current):
- Board Adviser, Subdivision and Housing Developers Association (2003 – present)
- Chairman, Subdivision and Housing Developers Association (2001 – 2002)
- President, Subdivision and Housing Developers Association (1999 – 200)
Batch HS ’75 and GS ’71
Jolly is a retired Major General of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFFP). After serving in the military since 1984, Jolly is currently the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of ASEAMetrics HR Solutions, a company he helped set up and organized. He is also a Security Consultant to several private companies.
Jolly served for 15 years as a senior manager in a military organization to become a seasoned Intelligence Officer; having more than 12 years of experience in the various aspects of information collection from tactical to strategic and from local to international concerns.
Here’s a summary of Jolly’s tour of duty in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP):
- ?Commander 3rd Infantry (Spearhead) Division in Western Visayas (2012 – 2013)
- Commander of the 7th Infantry (Kaugnay) Division in Central Luzon (2012)
- Chief of Staff for Operations (J3) (2011)
- Commanding General for Civil Relations Service (2010 – 2011)
- Chief, Public Information Officer & Spokesperson (2001 – 2002; 2010 – 2011)
- Commander, 703 Brigade, Philippines Army (2008 – 2010)
- Assistant Chief of Staff for Personnel (G1), Philippine Army (2006 – 2008)
- Commanding Officer for Army Personnel Management Center (APMC) (2004 – 2006)
- Commandant, Combat Arms School, Training and Doctrines Command, (CAS TRADOC), Philippine Army (2003 – 2004)
- Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, G2, Presidential Security Group (1998 – 1999)
- Battalion Commander, 40th Inf Bn, 6ID, Philippine Army (1996 – 1998)
- Intelligence Officer for The Intelligence Security Group (ISG) and 602/601Bde,Philippine Army (1986 – 1995)
- Operation Officer, Operation Group, National Intelligence Security Agency (NISA) (1984 – 1986)
Awards and Citations:
- From 1981 to 20 June 2013, received more than 60 military awards and commendations for distinguished service and accomplishments in various posts
- Outstanding Pasigueño Award – City of Pasig (1998)
- Outstanding Student Award of the Philippine Army (2000)
- Achievement Award (Rotary Club of Pampanga, 2008)
- Achievement Award for Peace and Order (PNP Region 3, 2009)
- ?Masiricampo (Peace Maker) of the Sultanate of Panay (2012)
- ?Outstanding Alumnus Award of De La Salle University for Military Operations (2012-2013)
- Outstanding Alumnus Award of De La Salle University for the Sport of Soccer Football (2013-2015)
- President, Philippines Military Academy Alumni Association, Army Chapter, 2010-2012
- President, Philippine Military Academy Class of 1981, 2007-2009
- Member, Rotary Clubs of Angeles, Pasig and Ilo-Ilo
- Member, Personnel Management Association of the Philippines(PMAP)
- Member, Information Technology and Business Process Association of the Philippines (IBPAP)
Batch HS ’87 and GS ’83
LIEUTENANT COLONEL RAMON P ZAGALA O-11738 INFANTRY (GENERAL STAFF CORPS) PHILIPPINE ARMY is presently the Commander, 28th Infantry (Kamagong) Battalion, 10th Infantry Division, Philippine Army based in Davao Oriental. He took up his course of AB Political Science at the De La Salle University in Manila graduating in 1990 and his primary and secondary schooling at La Salle Green Hills, Mandaluyong City graduating in 1983 and 1987 respectively.
LTC ZAGALA was commissioned to the Regular Force on August 9,1994. Prior to entering the AFP, LTC Zagala was the Corps Commander of the DLSU Naval ROTC unit from 1989 to 1990. He entered the Officer Candidate School in 1993 and became his class First Captain earning him the Chief of Staff Saber. After his graduation from the Officer Candidate School 1994, he was assigned to different Army and GHQ units covering Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao holding various command and staff positions such as platoon leader and executive officer the 14th Light Armor Company, 1st Light Armor Battalion, Light Armor Brigade, PA; administrative officer and platoon leader of the 1st Light Armor Company, Light Armor Brigade, PA; Aide-de-Camp to President Joseph Estrada; Company Commander, Charlie “Conqueror” Company, 24th Infantry Battalion, 7th Infantry Division, PA; Chief, Administrative Branch and Chief, Civil Affairs Branch, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Civil Military Operations OU7, NCRCOM, AFP; Chief, Public Information Office, NCRCOM, AFP, Assistant Chief of the Public Affairs Office, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Executive Officer, 1st Special Forces Battalion, Executive Officer, 2nd Special Forces Battalion, Assistant Chief of Staff for Civil Military Operations G7, Special Forces Regiment, Special Operations Command and Chief of the Public Affairs Office and Spokesman, Armed Forces of the Philippines.
LTC ZAGALA has completed various career and specialization courses here and abroad to include the Special Forces Operation Course, Basic Airborne Course, Scout Ranger Orientation Course, Armor Officer Basic Course, Basic Practical Pistol Course, VIP Protection Course, UN Peacekeeping Operations Pre-Deployment Training, Armor Officer Advance Course, the Public Affairs Officer Qualifying Course at Fort Meade, Maryland, USA under the International Military Education and Training Program (IMETP), Military Freefall course, Jumpmaster course, Australian Command and Staff Course, Australian Defence College and Master of Military and Defence Studies, Australian National University at Canberra, ACT, Australia under the Philippines and Australia Defence Cooperation Program.
LTC ZAGALA also received a number of awards and decorations both in administrative and combat duties to include the Distinguished Service Star, a Gold Cross Medal for gallantry in combat, Gawad sa Kaunlaran Medal, 2 Bronze Cross Medals, 19 Military Merit Medals (3 in combat), AFP Senior Parachutist Badge, Army Aviator’s Badge, US public affairs badge, the Presidential Medal of Merit and other distinguished awards and commendations.
LTC ZAGALA belongs to a family rich in military tradition spanning three generations. From his grandfather, Col Ramon Zagala to his father MGen Rafael G Zagala – all imbued with the motivation to serve the country and people.