by APaul Tomas
Of all the cloud storage and file synchronization services I have tried, Google Drive is definitely one of the best. The idea behind it is very simple: Place any file in Drive and so long as you have Internet access, you’ll be able to view it anytime, anywhere, on any device.
You don’t have to be rocket scientist to use Google Drive… In fact it’s probably one of the easiest cloud services to use.
Here are several advantages of using Google Drive.
- Sending large files to your friends, classmates, and co-faculty straight from your LSGH Gmail account. When you join Google Drive, you instantly have 5 GB of storage space. It is also possible to purchase more at a very affordable cost.
- Allows remote file access. Google Drive can be synchronized with your personal computer. With it, all your files become available on the web. If you happen to need a file urgently, all you have to do is connect to the internet and download your file.
- Comes with mobile application. This gives you access to your files on your smartphone, no matter where you are.
- Has an efficient built-in-search engine. Allows you to find content with great ease, just use the built-in keyword search. You can also look for files by owner of by file type.
- It’s equipped with an OCR (optical character recognition) functions. This allows you to search for words or even expressions in scanned documents. Finding someone’s name in an old newspaper or an article that was scanned and saved on Google Drive is now possible.
- It allows you to open various types of files: like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop files.
- Google Drive and Google Docs compliment each other. You can create your documents, spreadsheet and even presentations on-line and also work simultaneously with friends, classmates and co-faculty on a same document. Updates are in real time and it even allows you to add certain access privilege to your files and determine who can view, edit or comment a shared document.
- You can share photos and videos with your contacts. Just like Google Docs, your files can be commented. It’s a notification that is automatically sent to you when a comment is posted in response to yours.
- It uses image recognition technology. The up-to-date technology, which is still being finalized and perfected, can recognize the content of your pictures. You can type “St. Benilde Gym” in Drive’s integrated search engine and find pictures of you in front of the St. Benilde Gym.
- Best of all, it’s FREE. If you want to try it on your tablet, just go to Google Play Store and download “Drive”.